On June 27th each year, we observe National HIV Testing Day (NHTD), a day to emphasize and encourage HIV testing. This year’s theme is “HIV Testing is Self Care”
- HIV testing can be free, easy, fast, and confidential. HIV self-tests can be done when and where an individual chooses.
- Everyone between the ages of 13 and 64 should get tested for HIV at least once as part of routine health care.
- Those with certain ongoing risk factors—such as having more than one sex partner since their last HIV test or having sex with someone whose sexual history they don’t know—should get tested annually. Some sexually active gay and bisexual men may benefit from more frequent testing (e.g., every 3 to 6 months).
- As part of proactive prenatal care, all pregnant women should receive certain blood tests to detect infections and other illnesses, such as HIV, syphilis, and hepatitis B.
As required under the Affordable Care Act, HIV screening is covered by health insurance. For the uninsured, free testing is available – use Get Tested to search for free testing resources.
TESTING IN ARIZONA
It is easy to find testing locations in the state using the service directory on HIVAZ.org. For more information, or to find a testing location, check out the Get Tested page here.
ADHS-SUPPORTED TESTING AGENCIES ARE LISTED BY REGION BELOW:
- County Health Departments
- Central: Maricopa, Pinal
- Northern: Apache, Coconino, Gila, Mojave, Navajo, Yavapai
- Southern: Cochise, Graham, Greenlee, La Paz, Pima, Yuma
- Community Based Organizations
- Central: Terros, CPLC, Southwest Center for HIV/AIDS, CAN Community Health, Valleywise, Sonoran Prevention Works, Spectrum Medical Center
- Northern: North Country Health Care, Northland Cares
- Southern: Southern Arizona Aids Foundation (SAAF), COPE
GET TESTED AZ and AUNT RITA’S FOUNDATION
Aunt Rita’s Foundation is committed to ending HIV in Arizona. To help accomplish that goal, they have partnered up with Sonora Quest Labs and Albertsons/Safeway Pharmacies to offer FREE in person HIV testing! If you prefer more privacy or are unable to get to one of their locations, you can request a FREE at-home HIV test. The at-home test is an easy and quick oral swab that gives you your results from the comfort of your own home in just 20 minutes. Requesting your free test is simple and easy! Any Arizona resident over 17 years or older can request a test. A short survey that will only take a few minutes to complete is all that is required!
Once you submit your request, it will be processed and your HIV test or voucher will be sent to you! These vouchers are accepted at hundreds of locations throughout Arizona. Once you have your voucher, simply show your voucher to a participating location and they will be able to administer your test. If you choose the at-home option, you will be able to complete your test all by yourself in your own home. If you need assistance with the test, please feel free to call at 602-903-1221 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Take the first step and find out your HIV status today! To find out more about where to get tested or to order a home test kit by mail, visit: https://gettestedaz.org/en/#free